Succulent? Check. Savory? Check. A little scary? Check. Wrapping these dogs up in cheesy goodness makes dinner tasty and whimsical. Bonus: These bundles of frightening fun are keto too.
- ½ cup almond flour
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2½ oz. butter
- 6 oz. shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 lb sausages in links, or uncured hot dogs
- 1 egg, for brushing the dough
- 16 cloves, for the mummies eyes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter and cheese in a pan on low heat. Stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon, for a smooth and flexible batter. After a few minutes, remove from heat.
- Stir the egg into to the flour mixture, and then add the cheese mixture, combining all until it becomes a firm dough.
- Flatten into a rectangle, about 8×14 inches (20×35 cm).
- Cut into 8 long strips, less than an inch wide (1.5–2 cm).
- Wrap the dough strips around the hot dog and brush with a whisked egg.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15–20 minutes until the dough is golden brown. The hot dog will be done by then too.
- Push two cloves into each hot dog to make them look like eyes – but only for decoration. Don’t eat the cloves!
- Using larger hot dogs? Pre-fry them for a couple of minutes before wrapping them up in the cheese dough and baking.